One of the strategies for increasing air conditioner efficiency is to upgrade your unit to a new model. If you aren’t ready to make a change yet, you still have some options available to increase energy efficiency.
Tips to Increase Air Conditioner Efficiency
- Conduct regular maintenance on your unit by cleaning the coils and replacing dirty filters. Make sure the area around your outdoor condenser is not hidden from view. Clear away branches or leaves than may be clogging it.
- Install new shades on your windows to keep the sun’s rays out during the most intense times of the day. You’ll want to take the time to find a high-quality product.
- Reducing internal loads in your home is a simple option that will help you increase your air conditioner efficiency. Shut off any electrical appliances that are not in use. Keep light off in unoccupied rooms. Run your washing machine, dryer and dishwasher during cooler times of the day. Use your local exhaust fans to remove the heat and humidity from your kitchen and bathroom.
- If you happen to be in the market for new appliances, look for ones with Energy Star or similar designations. They will be more energy efficient, which will mean less stress on your air conditioner.
- Do not set your air conditioner to the “fan on” position. It will leave the fan blowing air all the time whether the cooling system is running or not. A lot of the moisture the system took out of the air will be blown back into your house before it can drain away.
- Use exhaust fans during activities that produce moisture. Cooking, bathing and washing produce a lot of moisture within your home. Direct the moisture out of your home with a fan. Avoid drying clothes indoors unless you are using a clothes dryer that has been vented to the outside.
When you’re ready to update to a new air conditioner, call Air Depot at 281-477-3700. We’re your expert source air conditioning sales and service.